There’s not an actual food truck outside The Inn at Stonecliffe on Mackinac Island. (After all, vehicles aren’t allowed!) But the concept of the Mackinac Food Truck and Beer Garden is the same: fast gourmet food with limited contact.
The new addition to Mackinac Island’s diverse dining scene comes in response to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. The outbreak of the novel coronavirus has been a challenge for restaurants worldwide. On Michigan’s Mackinac Island, restaurants are taking precautions to keep serving customers safely. That includes making hand sanitizer available, requiring face masks for staff and guests, and reconfiguring seating to limit capacity and ensure proper social distancing.
At Mackinac Food Truck and Beer Garden, there’s also another antidote to the virus: Outdoor dining. Guests are invited to enjoy a nice meal and drinks while relaxing outside and taking in the incredible panoramic views of the Straits of Mackinac behind the Inn at Stonecliffe.
Of course, outdoor dining is nothing new on Mackinac Island. In fact, the iconic Pink Pony at the Chippewa Hotel is one of America’s 10 Best Restaurants for Outdoor Dining. Many other restaurants on the island could just as easily be included on that list.
You can find dozens of restaurants on Mackinac Island where fresh air is served up right alongside delicious dishes and delectable desserts. See the full list below.
To whet your appetite, let’s name just a few of Mackinac Island’s outdoor dining options:
- Dining on the waterfront at the Iroquois Hotel’s Carriage House, perhaps on the Great Lakes whitefish or sautéed perch
- Juicy burgers and chicken tenders at Mighty Mac
Craft beers at Mary’s Bistro Draught House
- Something off the grill by the 220-foot-long, serpentine-shaped heated pool at Grand Hotel
- Fine dining on the patio overlooking the harbor at the 1852 Grill Room at Island House Hotel
- Deep fried pickles from Cannonball Drive Inn on the north end of Mackinac Island at British Landing
- Cocktails at The Geranium Bar adjacent to the world’s longest porch
- Hot dogs and chips at The Doghouse for a picnic on Windermere Point
- Lunch on the bluffs high above the harbor at the Fort Mackinac Tea Room
- Smoked barbecue at an umbrella table in the garden at Ice House BBQ & Bar
- One-of-a-kind cocktails and whitefish dip on the waterfront patio at the Chippewa Hotel’s Pink Pony
- The famous Grand Pecan Ball at The Jockey Club, overlooking the first tee at The Jewel Golf Course
Of course, aside from all the great outdoor dining options at restaurants, Mackinac Island just happens to be home to the best picnic spot in all of Michigan. Take-out is available at many restaurants for you to enjoy a meal in Marquette Park, or up at Fort Holmes on the highest point of Mackinac Island. You could also make your own meal with grab-and-go sandwiches and deli items from Doud’s Market, America’s oldest grocery store.
Whether you visit in the spring or fall when crowds are smaller, or in the summer when Mackinac Island has some of the country’s best weather, you’ll find plenty of options for outdoor dining – each with great food and drinks, unique settings and priceless views in one of the world’s most beautiful places.
Restaurants on Mackinac Island with Outdoor Seating
- Bill’s Grill– https://www.mackinacisland.org/restaurant/bills-grill/
- Boxwood Cafe– https://www.mackinacisland.org/restaurant/boxwood/
- Cannonball Drive Inn– https://www.mackinacisland.org/restaurant/cannonball-drive-inn/
- The Doghouse – https://www.mackinacisland.org/restaurant/doghouse-windermere-point/
- Mighty Mac– https://www.mackinacisland.org/?s=mighty+Mac
- Carriage House– https://www.mackinacisland.org/restaurant/carriage-house-dining-hotel-iroquois/
Mackinac Island Food Truck and Beer Garden– https://www.mackinacisland.org/restaurant/mackinac-food-truck-beer-garden/
- Fort Mackinac Tea Room– https://www.mackinacisland.org/restaurant/fort-mackinac-tea-room-grand-hotel-restaurant/
- Gate House – https://www.mackinacisland.org/restaurant/gate-house-grand-hotel-restaurant-2/
- Ice House BBQ– https://www.mackinacisland.org/restaurant/ice-house-island-house-hotel/
- Jockey Club– https://www.mackinacisland.org/restaurant/jockey-club-grand-stand-2/
- Kingston Kitchen– https://www.mackinacisland.org/restaurant/kingston-kitchen-village-inn/
- Mary’s Bistro Draught House – https://www.mackinacisland.org/restaurant/marys-bistro-draught-house/
- Mustang Lounge – https://www.mackinacisland.org/restaurant/mustang-lounge/
- Pink Pony– https://www.mackinacisland.org/restaurant/pink-pony/
- Round Island Bar & Grill – https://www.mackinacisland.org/restaurant/round-island-bar-grill-mission-point-resort/
- Smokey Jose’s– https://www.mackinacisland.org/restaurant/smokey-joses/
- Woods– https://www.mackinacisland.org/restaurant/woods-grand-hotel-restaurant/
- Bistro on the Greens– https://www.mackinacisland.org/restaurant/bistro-green-mission-point-resort/
- 1852 Grill Room– https://www.mackinacisland.org/restaurant/1852-grill-room/
- Watercolor Cafe– https://www.mackinacisland.org/restaurant/watercolor-cafe/
- Great Turtle Brewery– https://www.mackinacisland.org/restaurant/great-turtle-brewery/
- Strait UP Coffee (closed for the 2020 season) – https://www.mackinacisland.org/lodging/mission-point-resort/
- Geranium Bar at Grand Hotel – https://www.mackinacisland.org/restaurant/geranium-bar/
- Grand Hotel Pool Grill – https://www.mackinacisland.org/activities/grand-hotel-swimming-pool/
Also, grab-and-go sandwiches and deli items are available at Doud’s Market. Carry-out is available at any restaurants as well. These are great options for an outdoor picnic.