With a diverse assortment of restaurants, Mackinac Island offers an extraordinary food and wine scene to visitors. And the scenery around the Crown Jewel of the Great Lakes is pretty incredible, too.
Together, the delicious flavors and spectacular sights of Mackinac Island make a perfect pairing – especially where you can find a table for al fresco outdoor dining.
Mackinac Island just happens to be home to one of America’s 10 Best Restaurants for Outdoor Dining, the iconic Pink Pony at the Chippewa Hotel. Many other Mackinac Island restaurants could just as easily be included on that list, too.
You can find dozens of restaurants on Mackinac Island with outdoor dining where fresh air is served up right alongside delicious dishes and delectable desserts. See the full list below.
First, to whet your appetite, let’s name just a few of Mackinac Island’s outdoor dining options
- Dining on the waterfront at the Iroquois Hotel’s Carriage House, perhaps on the Great Lakes whitefish or sautéed perch
- Juicy burgers and chicken tenders at Mighty Mac
- Craft beers at Mary’s Bistro Draught House
- Something off the grill by the 220-foot-long, serpentine-shaped heated pool at Grand Hotel
- Deep fried pickles from Cannonball Oasis on the north end of Mackinac Island at British Landing
- Fine dining on the patio overlooking the harbor at the 1852 Grill Room at Island House Hotel
- Lunch on the bluffs high above the harbor at the Fort Mackinac Tea Room
- Cocktails at The Geranium Bar adjacent to the world’s longest porch
- Smoked barbecue at an umbrella table in the garden at Ice House BBQ & Bar
- Hot dogs and chips at The Doghouse for a picnic on Windermere Point
- The famous Grand Pecan Ball at The Jockey Club, overlooking the first tee at The Jewel Golf Course
- One-of-a-kind cocktails and whitefish dip on the waterfront patio at the Chippewa Hotel’s Pink Pony
Picnic options on Mackinac Island
Of course, aside from all the great outdoor dining options at restaurants, Mackinac Island just happens to be home to the best picnic spot in all of Michigan. Take-out is available at many restaurants for you to enjoy a meal in Marquette Park, or up at Fort Holmes on the highest point of Mackinac Island. You could also make your own meal with grab-and-go sandwiches and deli items from Doud’s Market, America’s oldest grocery store.
Whether you visit in the spring or fall when crowds are smaller, or in the summer when Mackinac Island has some of the country’s best weather, you’ll find plenty of options for outdoor dining – each with great food and drinks, unique settings and priceless views in one of the world’s most beautiful places.
Restaurants on Mackinac Island with Outdoor Seating
- Bill’s Grill– https://www.mackinacisland.org/restaurant/bills-grill/
- Boxwood Cafe– https://www.mackinacisland.org/restaurant/boxwood/
- Cannonball Oasis– https://www.mackinacisland.org/restaurant/cannonball-drive-inn/
- The Doghouse – https://www.mackinacisland.org/restaurant/doghouse-windermere-point/
- Mighty Mac– https://www.mackinacisland.org/?s=mighty+Mac
- Carriage House– https://www.mackinacisland.org/restaurant/carriage-house-dining-hotel-iroquois/
- The Lawn at Stonecliffe– https://www.mackinacisland.org/restaurant/mackinac-food-truck-beer-garden/
- Fort Mackinac Tea Room– https://www.mackinacisland.org/restaurant/fort-mackinac-tea-room-grand-hotel-restaurant/
- Gate House – https://www.mackinacisland.org/restaurant/gate-house-grand-hotel-restaurant-2/
- Ice House BBQ– https://www.mackinacisland.org/restaurant/ice-house-island-house-hotel/
- Jockey Club– https://www.mackinacisland.org/restaurant/jockey-club-grand-stand-2/
- Kingston Kitchen– https://www.mackinacisland.org/restaurant/kingston-kitchen-village-inn/
- Mary’s Bistro Draught House – https://www.mackinacisland.org/restaurant/marys-bistro-draught-house/
- Mustang Lounge – https://www.mackinacisland.org/restaurant/mustang-lounge/
- Pink Pony– https://www.mackinacisland.org/restaurant/pink-pony/
- Round Island Bar & Grill – https://www.mackinacisland.org/restaurant/round-island-bar-grill-mission-point-resort/
- Smokey Jose’s– https://www.mackinacisland.org/restaurant/smokey-joses/
- Woods– https://www.mackinacisland.org/restaurant/woods-grand-hotel-restaurant/
- Bistro on the Greens– https://www.mackinacisland.org/restaurant/bistro-green-mission-point-resort/
- 1852 Grill Room– https://www.mackinacisland.org/restaurant/1852-grill-room/
- Watercolor Cafe– https://www.mackinacisland.org/restaurant/watercolor-cafe/
- Great Turtle Brewery– https://www.mackinacisland.org/restaurant/great-turtle-brewery/
- Strait UP Coffee – https://www.mackinacisland.org/lodging/mission-point-resort/
- Geranium Bar at Grand Hotel – https://www.mackinacisland.org/restaurant/geranium-bar/
- Grand Hotel Pool Grill – https://www.mackinacisland.org/activities/grand-hotel-swimming-pool/
Also, grab-and-go sandwiches and deli items are available at Doud’s Market. Carry-out is available at any restaurants as well. These are great options for an outdoor picnic.