Coronavirus Travel Update (COVID-19)
(Revised 10-7-2020 11:30 a.m.)
Based on the procedures mandated by the Michigan Department of Health & Human Services one 10-5-2020, Mackinac Island will continue to follow these safety protocols:
- Everyone must wear a face covering when indoors and not able to properly social distance.
In addition, we encourage all of our guests to wash your hands frequently.
Is it safe to travel to the island? What are you doing to prevent the spread of COVID-19?
- Mackinac Island Tourism member businesses are working tirelessly to operate while preserving the safety of the cherished visitors, workers and residents of the island.
- Island businesses are committed to instituting protocols and procedures in alignment with guidelines for safe operations set forth by leading health officials and local, state and federal authorities, including the adoption of a COVID-19 mitigation plan.
- The City of Mackinac Island published a thorough COVID-19 plan, available here.
Will my Mackinac Island experience be different this year? If so, how?
- Mackinac Island is committed to delivering the outstanding guest experience and tradition our fans know and love.
- Safety is our first priority. As such, there will be new procedures in place, including the following requests of our valued guests:
- Maintain 6-feet of distance between you and others to respect social distancing
- Wear a mask or face covering while in public spaces
- Maintain frequent and thorough hand washing and sanitization practices
- Hand sanitizing stations will be found throughout high traffic areas on Mackinac Island.
Are public restrooms available to visitors?
- Yes, the public restrooms behind the Mackinac Island Tourism Bureau office are open, and the public restrooms at the Mackinac State Historic Parks Visitor Center will open effective Friday, June 5.
Have events been canceled or rescheduled?
- Yes, select events have been postponed or canceled. For the latest updates, visit: org/2020-season-updates/.
- Event scheduling and cancellations are the discretion of each event host. If you are scheduled to attend an event on Mackinac Island during the 2020 season, we suggest contacting the organizer or host directly for updates.
How will ferry transportation be impacted?
- Full ferry service from both Mackinaw City and St. Ignace is now available. For more information and full schedules, please visit Shepler’s Ferry and Star Line Ferry.
- Passengers are asked to comply with safety protocols, including social distancing when possible, wearing masks and following updated embarking/disembarking processes to limit crowds.
How will air travel transportation be impacted?
- Standard air travel is now available.
- Please contact Mackinac Island Airport and Pellston Airport directly for more information regarding current air travel policies.
Can I access Mackinac Island via private air or lake travel?
- Private air and lake travel options are now available.
- Please contact your preferred travel partner directly for more information regarding current travel policies.
State of Michigan Department of Public Health & Safety: https://www.michigan.gov/coronavirus
US Travel Association: https://www.ustravel.org/toolkit/emergency-preparedness-and-response-coronavirus-covid-19?
A Note on Public Safety
We are eager to welcome you to Mackinac Island for your visit this summer. In order to protect the health and safety of our valued guests, workers and residents, we ask that you observe the following public health guidelines during your stay on the island:
- Practice good hygiene, including washing your hands thoroughly for at least 20 seconds with soap and water several times per day.
- When possible, maintain six feet of distance from those around you.
- Wear a face mask at all times when in confined public spaces.
By committing to these guidelines, we can stop the unnecessary spread of COVID-19 and enjoy a healthy, safe summer – together.
A potential risk of exposure to COVID-19 exists in any public place where people gather. The entire Mackinac Island community is committed to keeping you healthy and safe but we cannot guarantee possible exposure to COVID-19 won’t occur. To help in maintaining a safe environment, your assistance is needed while visiting in following the guidelines below.
- If you are displaying symptoms or known to be COVID positive or have been exposed to someone displaying symptoms or known to be COVID positive, we ask that you not travel to Mackinac Island.
- Please wash hands often and refrain from touching your face or eyes.
- Maintain 6-feet of distance between you and others as often as possible.
- Wear a mask or cover your mouth and nose while in public areas.
- Avoid touching surfaces whenever possible.
Thank you for your help in maintaining the safest possible experience for all.
Mackinac Island Lodging & Accommodations
With over 1,600 unique lodging rooms, our Island is full of one of kind, family owned and award winning properties. The Island’s highly trained and courteous professionals want to make sure your stay is as comfortable and accommodating as possible.