Coronavirus Travel Update (COVID-19)
(Updated 5-20-21 2:30 p.m.)
FAQ Summer 2021 Season
Are the ferries traveling to Mackinac Island?
- Both Star Line Mackinac Island Hydro-Jet Ferry and Shepler’s Mackinac Island Ferry are running out of St. Ignace and Mackinaw City.
How will ferry transportation be impacted?
- Federal mandates require all passengers to wear a mask while aboard the ferries. The latest mandate can be found here.
When will Mackinac Island open? Will everything be open on schedule this season?
- Mackinac Island business are open!
- We have spent the winter months building on our collective success in 2020 and preparing to ensure our businesses are ready to open for the high season safely and responsibly. We look forward to welcoming you for a fun, exciting and restful summer and fall holiday season, no matter how you choose to spend your time with us.
Will all businesses open in 2021?
- We are anticipating all Island business to open this season. Only a handful of businesses chose not to open in 2020.
- Each business will determine their individual opening schedule. For the latest information regarding individual business and attraction opening dates, visit: https://www.mackinacisland.org/2021-season-updates/.
Is it safe to travel to the Island? What are you doing to prevent the spread of COVID-19?
- Mackinac Island Tourism member businesses have worked tirelessly to build on the successes of 2020 and open for the 2021 season – all while preserving the safety of the cherished visitors, workers and residents of the Island.
- Island businesses are committed to upholding protocols and procedures in alignment with guidelines for safe operations set forth by leading health officials and local, state and federal authorities, including the adoption of a COVID-19 mitigation plan.
- The City of Mackinac Island published a thorough COVID-19 plan, available here.
Have events been canceled or rescheduled?
- Many events will look different in 2021 than you may be accustomed to. Such changes are necessary to ensure our fans’ favorite traditions can be observed while keeping guests, workers and residents safe.
- Event plans and scheduling are left to the discretion of each event host. For more information regarding a specific event taking place on Mackinac Island during the 2021 season, we suggest contacting the organizer or host directly for updates.
- For the latest event updates, visit: https://www.mackinacisland.org/annual-island-events/.
Will Mackinac State Historic Parks open as scheduled?
- Mackinac State Historic Parks will open attractions on the Island beginning May 1.
- Please contact Mackinac State Historic Parks directly for more information on current plans for the 2021 season or visit https://www.mackinacparks.com/covid-19/.
Is public air travel transportation available for the 2021 season?
- Standard air travel is available.
- Please contact Mackinac Island Airport and Pellston Airport directly for more information regarding current air travel policies.
Can I access Mackinac Island via private air or lake travel?
- Private air and lake travel options are available.
- Please contact your preferred travel partner directly for more information regarding current travel policies.
Do employees need to be vaccinated before going to work?
- Mackinac Island is working tirelessly to secure vaccine doses for the Island’s seasonal workers to ensure a healthy and fruitful high season.
What are the e-bike rules?
- The Mackinac Island Chief of Police has developed a special Q&A for e-bikes ahead of the 2021 season. For more information, please visit: https://www.mackinacisland.org/visit/getting-around/
What is the restaurant seating capacity?
- Island restaurants are at 50% capacity like the rest of Michigan.
Are there any additional safety protocols on the island?
- Through a City Council Resolution, The City of Mackinac Island is recommending everyone in the downtown area wear a mask when it is not possible to properly distance yourself from others.
State of Michigan Department of Public Health & Safety: https://www.michigan.gov/coronavirus
US Travel Association: https://www.ustravel.org/toolkit/emergency-preparedness-and-response-coronavirus-covid-19?
A potential risk of exposure to COVID-19 exists in any public place where people gather. The entire Mackinac Island community is committed to keeping you healthy and safe but we cannot guarantee possible exposure to COVID-19 won’t occur. To help in maintaining a safe environment, your assistance is needed while visiting in following the guidelines below.
- If you are displaying symptoms or known to be COVID positive or have been exposed to someone displaying symptoms or known to be COVID positive, we ask that you not travel to Mackinac Island.
- Please wash hands often and refrain from touching your face or eyes.
- Maintain 6-feet of distance between you and others as often as possible.
- Wear a mask or cover your mouth and nose while in public areas.
- Avoid touching surfaces whenever possible.
Thank you for your help in maintaining the safest possible experience for all.
Mackinac Island Lodging & Accommodations
With over 1,600 unique lodging rooms, our Island is full of one of kind, family owned and award winning properties. The Island’s highly trained and courteous professionals want to make sure your stay is as comfortable and accommodating as possible.