Fort Mackinac Post Cemetery
The Post Cemetery is the final resting place for Fort Mackinac soldiers, their families and local officials. Although the origin of the Cemetery is lost in history, local lore suggests that both American and British Ware of 1812 soldiers are buried there. Known burials of note include Ignatius Goldhofer, a Civil War veteran who came to Fort Mackinac in 1869. He was buried in the Post Cemetery by his wife and children, when he died three years later. Other burials include Edward Biddle, who served as sheriff, village president and surveyor in the mid 19th century, and the 1880s burial of Josiah and Isabel Cowes, the infant children of Lieutenant Calvin and Mary Cowles.
Address7029 Huron Rd, Mackinac Island, MI 49757