Mackinac Island is known for many reasons; history, horses, bicycles, stunning views. That feeling you get when you step ashore and away from the chaos of the mainland.
Another (literal) treat on Mackinac Island is the variety of dining options on Mackinac Island.
From freshly caught whitefish to bold flavors of the Caribbean, elaborate indoor dining spaces to peaceful waterfront dining, Mackinac Island has flavors to suit every palette.
Traveling with special dietary needs takes extra planning and this blog post is aimed to highlight some favorite dishes as well as provide tips for traveling to Mackinac Island while eating vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, and allergen-free foods.
Reminder, there is always a possibility of cross-contamination with allergies in foods. Please talk to your server regarding the preparation procedure and ingredients.
Tips for traveling to Mackinac Island with Special Dietary Needs
- Not only is Doud’s Market on Mackinac Island the oldest family-owned grocery store in the US, but it also has a wide variety of food and cooking materials. They have everyday grocery items to make your food as well as a robust deli and bakery with grab-and-go options.
- Wanting to cook your own food while staying on Mackinac Island? Consider a Mackinac Island lodging option with a kitchen and cooking facilities.
- Many restaurants can accommodate vegetarian dishes by requesting no meat. Below, you will find a list of highlighted dishes on Mackinac Island.
- Vegetarian and gluten-free foods are the two most popular special dietary dishes restaurants offer. If you don’t see a restaurant listed below, be sure to ask your server for vegetarian and gluten-free options.
- Vegan and allergen-free dishes can be requested and your server will provide details about how the dishes are prepared as well as ingredients.
Featured Dishes for Special Dietary Needs on Mackinac Island
Vegetarian: Falafel Rice Bowl at Winchester’s
Saffron or Brown Rice with Quinoa, Falafel, Lettuce, Tomato, Cucumber, and Lemon Tahini
Vegetarian: Portobello Stack at Seabiscuit Café
Balsamic Marinated and Grilled Portobello Cap with Roasted Red Peppers, Zucchini, Red Onion, Tomato, Basil Aioli, and Provolone Cheese on Herb Focaccia
Vegetarian: Build Your Own Burritos, Burrito Bowls, Tacos, and Quesadillas at Amigo Burrito
Choose your entrée, followed by proteins, toppings, and salsa for a delicious and filling meal
Vegetarian: Five Grain Power Wrap at Watercolor Cafe
Five grain medley (wheat berries, wild rice, barley, red and white quinoa), spinach, goat cheese, red onion, sliced grapes, house honey dijon vinaigrette, flour wrap
Vegetarian: St. Mary’s Black Bean Burger at Kingston Kitchen
Zesty black bean burger topped with Jamaican Slaw, poor man’s ackee, and provolone cheese
Let’s Talk Mackinac Island Fudge! (And Ice Cream)
- Sorbet (dairy free)
- Sorbettos (dairy free)
- All fudge flavors are gluten free
- All fudge flavors are gluten free except for Oreo
- Dairy Free Fudge available
- Sorbet (dairy free)
- Veg-o-licious Black Cherry Ice Cream (Vegan)
- Veg-o-licious Butter Pecan Ice Cream (Vegan)
- Orange Sherbet (gluten free)
- 1852 Grill Room: VT, GF
- Amigo Burrito: VT, GF
- Bill’s Grill: GF
- Bistro on the Greens: VT, GF
- Broken Spoke: VT, GF
- Carriage House: VT GF
- Chianti: VT GF
- Chuckwagon: VT, GF
- Doud’s Market: VT, V, GF, DF, AF
- Fort Mackinac Tea Room: VT, GF
- The Gate House: VT, GF
- Good Day Café: VT, GF, DF
- Grand Hotel Dining Room: VT, GF
- Great Turtle Brewery & Distillery: VT, GF
- Horn’s Gaslight Bar & Restaurant: VT, GF
- Ice House BBQ: VT, V, AF, GF
- Island Slice Pizzeria: VT, GF
- Jockey Club: VT, GF
- Kingston Kitchen: VT, V, GF
- Lucky Bean Coffeehouse: GF
- Mary’s Bistro Draught House: VT, V, AF, GF
- Mighty Mac Hamburgers: VT, GF
- Millie’s on Main: VT
- Mustang Lounge: VT, GF
- Pancake House: VT, V, AF, GF
- Pink Pony: VT, GF
- Round Island Kitchen: VT, GF
- Seabiscuit Café: VT, V, AF, GF
- Smokey Jose’s: VT
- Watercolor Café: VT, GF, DF
- Winchester’s: VT, GF
- Woods Restaurant: VT, GF
- Yankee Rebel Tavern: VT, GF