Wawashkamo Golf Club
The Wawashkamo Golf Club is a nine-hole links golf course. The course was laid out by Alex Smith in 1898, and is as of 2015 the oldest continuously played golf course in Michigan. The golf course retains many of the features of a nineteenth-century golf links, including a relatively treeless layout, comparatively short holes, and very long rough. Wawashkamo was laid out on a farmer’s field that had been the site of the 1814 Battle of Mackinac Island. Separate historical markers commemorate both the golf links and the battlefield. Wawashkamo was honored as one of “America’s Historic Golf Landmarks” by Golf Digest in 1996. The course is contained within Mackinac Island State Park.
- Phone: (231) 218-2837
- Website: http://www.wawashkamo.com/