What could be better than a trip to Mackinac Island with your furry friend?
Nothing in our world!
From the ferry ride over, restaurants with outdoor dining, downtown shops, lodging, and even carriage tours, here is everything you need to know for a dog-friendly trip to Mackinac Island.
BRINGING YOUR DOG TO MACKINAC ISLAND: THINGS TO KNOW
- Please keep your dog on a leash at all times. This is for the safety of your dog as well as others.
- Pick up after your dog. Complimentary doggie waste bags are provided at the Mackinac Island Tourism Booth located on Main Street.
- Be aware! Horses rule on Mackinac Island. Be mindful of horses and bicycles throughout Mackinac Island but especially when you are in the busier, downtown area.
- Keep your eyes peeled for our dog-friendly sticker! If you see shops, restaurants, and places to stay with our sticker that says “Dogs Are Welcome,” you know that your dog is welcome! If you don’t see a sticker, please ask if your dog is allowed before entering.
DOG-FRIENDLY PLACES TO STAY ON MACKINAC ISLAND
There are three dog-friendly places to stay on Mackinac Island, each offering a unique experience.
- Mission Point Resort: Located on the eastern side of Mackinac Island, you and your dog will be in the perfect spot to wake up with stunning views of the sunrise. Mission Point also has the Great Lawn, dog-friendly outdoor dining, and their very own Mackinac Island pup, Nick! Visit their FAQ page to learn more.
- Park Place Suites: Be right in the action when you stay downtown at Park Place Suites. With only three rooms, be sure to book early!
- Sunset Condos: Escape the hustle and bustle and stay at the serene Sunset Condos. Located at the west end of Mackinac Island at Stonecliffe, they are the perfect getaway for your getaway!
DOGS ARE ALLOWED ON THE FERRY RIDE TO MACKINAC ISLAND
Both Star Line Mackinac Island Hydro-Jet Ferry and Shepler’s Mackinac Island Ferry welcome well-behaved dogs that are on a leash or in a carrier at no additional charge. For more information contact the ferries directly. Also, dogs are allowed on the horse-drawn taxi service on Mackinac Island.
DOG-FRIENDLY PLACES TO EAT ON MACKINAC ISLAND
When you plan your visit you’re probably going to include a place to eat. Here is a list of dog-friendly places to dine on Mackinac Island.
- Bill’s Grill at Harbour View Inn
- Bistro on the Greens at Mission Point Resort
- Boxwood Coffeeshop & Café at Mission Point Resort
- Cannonball Drive Inn
- Carriage House Patio
- Doghouse at Windermere Point
- Feedbag at Surrey Hills
- Fort Mackinac Tea Room
- Gate House
- Great Turtle Brewery & Distillery
- Ice House BBQ at Island House Hotel
- Kingston Kitchen
- Lucky Bean Coffee House
- Mustang Lounge
- Round Island Kitchen at Mission Point Resort
- Smokey Jose’s
DOG-FRIENDLY THINGS TO DO ON MACKINAC ISLAND
Take your dog with you as you experience all Mackinac Island has to offer. Here are some popular things to do on your next visit.
- Mackinac Island Carriage Tours: See Mackinac Island like you haven’t seen it before. This 1 hour 45-minute tour makes stops at all the must-see places on Mackinac Island. Small dogs are welcome on your lap, larger dogs may require the purchase of a children ticket.
- Great Turtle Kayak Tours: Guests can specify that they will be bringing their dog along with the dog’s approximate weight when they book their reservation. Dogs must sit still and stay in the kayak during the tour and also wear a doggy like jacket, which is included with the tour as well as for sale in various sizes.
- Fort Mackinac: Where history comes to life! This Revolutionary Era Fort has live demonstrations and interactive displays. Dogs are welcome at the Fort and other State Park properties, many listed below.
- Fort Holmes: The highest point on Mackinac Island, Fort Holmes is a sight to see. Enjoy a picnic, watch freighters pass by the Straits of Mackinac, or explore this outpost originally built by the British.
- Bike Along M-185: Whether you bike the 8.2 miles around Mackinac Island or choose to explore the interior, you can take your dog with you. Both Mackinac Bike Barn and Mackinac Wheels have Burley tag-a-long carts that are perfect for carrying dogs!
- Shop Downtown Mackinac Island Stores: Many shops and businesses in downtown Mackinac welcome dogs. Look for the dog-friendly window stickers or ask if they are allowed before entering.
- Explore Trails and Viewpoints: With over 70 miles of trails, there is much to explore on Mackinac Island. Take your dog along explore natural features and viewpoints from Mackinac’s highest bluffs.
- More dog-friendly places to explore: Anne’s Tablet, Arch Rock, British Landing, Crack-in-the-Island, freighter watching, Marquette Park, Marquette Park Playground, Mission Point Resort’s Lawn, Skull Cave, Somewhere In Time Gazebo, Sugar Loaf, and stone skipping at Windermere Point
Mackinac Island is best enjoyed when you can share it with those you love, and we know how much you love your dogs. Enjoy the full Mackinac Island experience with the whole family!